Cartercars were built in three different Michigan cities:
Jackson, Detroit, and Pontiac:
Jackson - 204 W. Cortland (1905 and earlier)
Byron Carter, along with his father Squire and uncle Charles, had numerous
businesses in Jackson at 204 W. Cortland. It was the bicycle
sales and repair shop at this location that was the primary location of his
friction-drive experiments and the creation of his first friction-drive
car. Before the Motorcar Company was incorporated in 1905, Byron
Carter built at least 11 different friction drive cars in Jackson.
This building no longer exists.
Detroit - 220-230 Twenty-First St, Tel: West-2-6-2 (1905 - 1908)
If the story in the first catalog of the Motorcar company is to be believed,
"a party of Detroit gentlemen... visited Jackson, and, after a most
searching investigation, arranged to move Mr Carter and his business to
Detroit, where it might be quickly expanded and developed." The
Motorcar Company occupied the former Stearns "laboratory." This
building no longer exists; it was located about where the Michigan Welcome
Center close to the Ambassador Bridge is now located.
More information and pictures for the Detroit factory can be found
Pontiac - Franklin Road (1908 - 1915)
After the death of Byron Carter in 1908, the company name was changed from
the Motorcar Company to the Cartercar Company and was relocated to the
larger plant of the Pontiac Spring & Wagon Works. One of the
original buildings at the Pontiac site is still in existence and is being
used as a warehouse.
More information and pictures for the Pontiac factory can be found
This site is a work-in-progress to document Cartercar history and production. It will be improved as time and information permit.
Have a Cartercar? Have a question or comment? - Send mail to cars @ cartercar.org
Copyright 2010-2024 cartercar.org - all rights reserved.